03/11/2013

2 Nov: “First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win.” ― Mahatma Gandhi





As I look at my opponent, I see a glint in her eye from the African sun. She pushes back her gold mane before presenting her deadly claws. She is ready to attack. Like a lion, she pounces towards me and like a tiger, I pounce back. I can just about hear the crowd screaming my African name under the voice in my head repeating 'You have to win. You have to win.' It causes my angry glare to transform into an awkward smirk. But no, I smiled too soon; the crowd's roars were slowly transforming from the beautiful 'Ramatoulaye' to the repugnant 'Aisatou'.

'No', I growl, shaking my head at the crowd.

Now, I have to do this. I have to win. To lose would be to give in. To lose would be to admit that she is the dominant one. To lose would be to say that she is leader of the jungle. But we all know that is not true. This is my territory.   




No comments:

Post a Comment