29/10/2013

"The language of friendship is not words but meanings." Henry David Thoreau

Fatou Ba, my Senegalese Sister.
When I came across this quote, I had to use it in a blog post. It is probably the most appropriate quote to represent my Gap Year. Fatou Ba's English is small and my French is absolutely horrendous, but somehow we manage to meet in the middle. To some, it may seem difficult or tedious that a five minute conversation may take us half an hour, however, to me, it adds a new dynamic to our relationship. We are able to gossip, laugh and joke without actually understanding the words that are being spoken. It is teaching me something very valuable about friendship: friendship is not about what you say to each other nor about having "so much in common", but about the special bond you share, one that is irreplaceable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment